Warhawk DS (HK & Flash's DS Diary)

flash · 259216

Offline BaDToaD

• Proterian
  • Dragon 32
Reply #360 on: June 02, 2009, 09:06:40 am
/Crawls out of woodwork after weeks due work commitments.

Personally I love the energy bar on the mother ship.

One thing I do think would be good if possible. Keep the Warhawk and the Mothership firing when they are in their death throes. It would for example, be so cool to be exploding and take out the mothership with your last few shots and just scrape onto the next level.

Likewise I think the mothership would look good fighting to the bitter end even if you do reduce it's fire rate.

/Crawls behind woodwork hoping to re appear very soon.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #361 on: June 03, 2009, 11:29:32 am
If you lip read LaVey, i am sure he says,

"oh oh bum"?

He reminds me of someone  :D

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #362 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:03 pm
is that "Merc the Mingless"?

Coding for the love of it!

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #363 on: June 29, 2009, 07:38:36 pm
Warhawk is still in the playtesting phase, and Mark has found an interesting bug that all have missed :)

If you die just before the boss comes on, the sprites "can" become flipped. This is a left-over from the code that tries to muddle explosions up a bit and the player explosion uses sprites that are normally reserved for base explosions (also used by bosses). Hopefully fixed now...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:40:07 pm by Flash »

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #364 on: June 29, 2009, 09:45:41 pm
Never saw that one and I did die a lot just before the Boss would come out. I guess that's why the 'can happen' is there :P .

I do like how the screens look like, the way the picture was taken, all fuzzy and that. Reminds me a lot of screens from magazines back in the day and this one really looks like it came from some C64 mag :D. Needles to say, I had in mind before to make the game that looks like a magazine scan but it's tricky, need to have the yucky kinda jpg compression in order to achieve it :(.

Also, release date?

Oh, btw, you received the cover yet?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #365 on: June 29, 2009, 10:37:21 pm
I have to giggle, because they also reminded me of the kind of pics they would use in mags like Zzapp and also in adverts.

Though - fancy not finding that rather nasty bug.... LOL (BAD Lobo - in your bed)

:)

Release date - soon

Cover - not yet mate?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:38:02 pm by Flash »

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #366 on: June 29, 2009, 11:53:51 pm
Whutty?

I've send it like, a week ago. Madness. Ok, sent again to that 'flashblablagreatflash' mail (damn dude, I got like 6 different emails from you, what are you? secret service, Steven Seagal??)  :D

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #367 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:39 am
Yes, got it this time on the Simon Seagull email adress.

It is fantastic mate, you will never fail to amaze me :)

(WOW)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #368 on: June 30, 2009, 12:07:22 pm
hey! it was that I saw, and I guess it was the extract same problem. I did died too, and might have died just before the boss entered (diddent think about it). it was look funny. Better this than it freeze.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:12:12 pm by spacefractal »

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #369 on: June 30, 2009, 12:09:58 pm
That may have also caused the one in the main level also..

Hopefully it is now fixed?! :)

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #370 on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:41 pm
Have you guys by any chance been playing in emulator when you saw this?
Just asking because long time ago I saw this sprite flippin' but not on bosses, just those 'rockship' types.
And it happen in No$. I never saw this problem on the actual hardware.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #371 on: June 30, 2009, 06:07:38 pm
The 3 pictures were from hardware.. So it is (was) and issue.

I had never spotted it in no$ though - wierd!! :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:08:24 pm by Flash »

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #372 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:41 pm
Indeed, we got opposite results, maybe a ghost in the machine or something complexly satanic.  8)

Anyway, release date? I thought I said you have until Thursday?

Oh, btw, been playing with the 'magazinecrapshot' look and discovered that the only way to go really IS to take pictures of the gfx made on comp, preferably small and crisp gfx then transferred to either some low res thing (cellphone, hehe) and take a pic. Then blow it up so all the jpg artifacts are there and then cut it down to desired size.
Here's what I got from those pics from up there, it looks pretty magazine to me, gonna do something with it or else. ;D

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #373 on: June 30, 2009, 06:41:13 pm
He He.... You really should have worked for Zzzzaapp!!! LOL

Oh, is saturday ok for a release, sir? or Sunday perhaps!?!

All we really have left is the release notes (fingers crossed)

I have made a full cover from your "Wonderfull" artwork and will email you that hopefully tonight! Looks "Sweet" ;)

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #374 on: June 30, 2009, 06:49:52 pm
Yeah, I should've apllied for a hair stylist position, would make their mullets stand out in the crowd.  :-\

Saturday is fine, make it Friday.

Cool, lesse that cover then.  ;)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #375 on: June 30, 2009, 06:53:44 pm
I will send it when i get home - in about 40 mins

When I was young I always wanted to be able to play the piano as well as Barry Manilow... That was my dream! But... Now after seeing your graphic work, i wish i could draw like you!!!

:P

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #376 on: June 30, 2009, 11:11:00 pm
When I was young I wanted to be a Houdini so I chained myself and almost didn't escape. :D
Now I want $1 million, no more no less, down to a cent.
Do you have 1mill ?

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #377 on: July 01, 2009, 04:22:26 am
I had a ticket in last nights lottery. It was $100 mil but sadly I didn't win. Two people won the money and one of the winners said "we won't be changing anything". Don't you hate it when people say that? Give me the money then! LOL

Anyway Lobo hopefully when we move into iPhone dev and have a proper distribution channel for our games we can all make a bit out of our hard work. I've been reading about some of the commercial iPhone developers in RetroGamer and in an interview he stated that development time for a game is typically 6 to 12 months. So hopefully we can get the next couple of free games (The Detective Game and Manic Miner Lost Levels) done in record time so we can move into mobile dev.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #378 on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:43 am
I wish you also planning for other phones, since I dosent plans to get a Iphone, I have example a Nokia 5800 and dosent have plans to get a new phone (works as I like it). Another option is also the google android phone. I guess C++ or such is best way for easy ports to other phones (or hopefully Adobe finnaly to get Flash working on IPhone as many others newer phone have)?

But I do understand the choice of phone.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #379 on: July 01, 2009, 07:21:24 am
From what I've been reading there's is alot of work involved getting Java games working on the 1000's of different types of phones. There are different sized screens different timing's and speeds. It's really not possible for us to do the necessary testing if we went that way. Android is something we are considering but I think the fact that we can write a game for the iPhone and that it will run on all iPhones is very attractive. We will be reconsidering our options as we go though so it's hard to say exactly which platform we will be going for.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #380 on: July 01, 2009, 07:29:14 am
Cross platform Java on mobile phones involves too much checking across the board to be a viable option. Though the 5800 (like many more recent Nokia and Samsung phones) is a Symbian S60 device. These do have quite a large amount of standardisation withing them and stretch through a huge range of nokia devices from the N95 several years ago. Also, Nokia has introduced an App Store like Google and Apple. So this is a viable platform.
I do believe the iPhone is a large market and a good oportunity for developing a new game on, only hindered by OSX as a SDK operating system.

So, it looks like there will be some fun ahead :)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #381 on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:10 am
The detative game would been awesome to any touchscreen phone..... I think Flash is best options, I heard Flash is not to far on IPhone as well, then it would been awesome.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #382 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:20 am
Sadly Flash has now been (Just about) released on all phone platforms apart from iPhone? Which is strange considering the relationship between Adobe and Apple?

But, perhaps it is not too far away, not that i would really be interested in coding in Flash though.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #383 on: July 01, 2009, 10:50:54 am
ActionScript 3 is not a bad language actually. Much better than earlier versions. Once you get the basics of C++ you should be able to code in similar languages like AS3, PHP, Java, C# etc.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #384 on: July 01, 2009, 12:24:03 pm
Yeah, getting to grips with C++ is my next objective and understanding how to implement it with adressing hardware (i.e. DS, iPhone, Android). So, the Detective project will hopefully be a fun learning process for me. And also playing with Manic Miner will help me correlate the two coding methods.

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #385 on: July 01, 2009, 05:15:56 pm
I had a ticket in last nights lottery. It was $100 mil but sadly I didn't win. Two people won the money and one of the winners said "we won't be changing anything". Don't you hate it when people say that? Give me the money then! LOL

Hah, true, I think they're trying to tell their extended family that sharing is OFF.

Anyway Lobo hopefully when we move into iPhone dev and have a proper distribution channel for our games we can all make a bit out of our hard work. I've been reading about some of the commercial iPhone developers in RetroGamer and in an interview he stated that development time for a game is typically 6 to 12 months. So hopefully we can get the next couple of free games (The Detective Game and Manic Miner Lost Levels) done in record time so we can move into mobile dev.

Sounds like a plan, IPhone is powerful and interesting enough to doodle about, the rest of the platforms is more like the experiment within limits which doesn't bring $1 million!  :D

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #386 on: July 01, 2009, 05:25:40 pm
$1 Million!!!

Hmmmm.... 'big' steak!!

LOL

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #387 on: July 01, 2009, 08:37:10 pm
Should the thread not been splitted into two, due the nice phone sdk debat rather than warhawk?

Iphone is simply for pricy, which is very high in example Denmark if you ask me, which is why I get a Nokia 5800 instead. The dectative game example does not need a fast phone or run at 60fps at all, due the theme and style. Flash (when released) or c++ is best options for compatible for most phones when released to IPhone which can guess would been in this year or such.

DS is still a nice console and you just learned the console....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:38:28 pm by spacefractal »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #388 on: July 01, 2009, 08:41:34 pm
Perhaps it should be split,

But.. it is all related really... Warhawk is coming to a close and we just need to chat about "what next?" and it is really a follow on from the Warhawk dev.

I will do seperate areas for the dev of TDG and MMITLL when these are in progress..

The iPhone is not really that dear here... I bought 2 and also and iPod for just over a grand. They are nice phones and the quality of the software is really something to aspire to.

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #389 on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:00 pm
I would never seriously push for either Flash nor cellphone games unless its a 'one shot for fun' kinda thing. The case with IPhone is that it has the power to make your time worth it, regardless of whether you're doing pacman or crysis.  ;)