Mod chips, ROM cards, jailbreaking Apple products, what do others think?

Zzaped! · 18981

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Right, off to play my Violin  :)

Well, perhaps not!

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Well, that's all that survived moving from Technics to this whole CD stuff and digital downloads.  :'(
 I do have some CDs tho still, every household need to have a few PIL CDs. :)

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
? ? ? Weren't we talking about another topic?

Indeed, but expecting people here to stay anywhere near the topic appears hopeless. Could see it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive player, sure does the job with the XMs.

Autodesk is a CAD programme if I recall correctly, quite strange that it spawned a drawing editor for Apple's sweaty/oily fingerprint taking products.

Slightly on topic, the Action Replay and Final cartridges for the C-64/128 were among the best peripherals around, freezing legit. single-load games from tape and copying the image to disc sure jazzed things up (although a lot of the later tape loaders were such great art in themselves it was still worth the load from tape; can't remember which game but at least one even had a playable Space Invaders up while the game itself was loading). Shame Action Replays of today don't generally have the programming functions of the old ones, just cheat codes and such (never used one on a game I liked). C-64 + Action Replay + Turbo Assembler, best programming fun ever.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:30:16 pm by Zzaped! »

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Someone in US law seems to have caught a bit of sense on things digital :)
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librarian-of-Congress-1201-Statement.html.

Not that it does or should affect Apple's right to run its shop, but the logical conclusion is that a user should be able to break out of Jobsian control *and* still buy things as he or she desires.

Offline flash

• Administrator
We wish.......

Coding for the love of it!

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
but Nintendo have won over R4 carts which mean they are removed from the market. This is what I have heard. Personally I would like these homebrew DS games to mobile versions as well (I guess Detective game is the easiest one).

In the other way Apple have did a bad job to resolve the iPhone4 Antenna problem, and now there exists very heated debate around it in various forums when just iPhone4 is named. Personally I do allways use a cover one or other anyway (I use a battery cover for my current 3gs example), and would not effect me at all (but I don't have a plan to get it, before my current one died). Since they still sell massive of phones, so the problem can't been big, but Apple should have resolve it much much better and earlier.

PS. I did jailbreaked my 3gs when I have 3.1.3, but for some reason I did not really use of the extra features (I mostly noticed there was much more ads in some of these apps), so I have hence upgraded to 4.0 and have not jailbreaked it or search it can work on my model.

PPS. Even I critic Apple here, it don't effect any of music creation for the secret game at all of course.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:20:14 pm by spacefractal »

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Should have added 'in the USA' in the previous post, but the DMCA seems to have been the world's strictest in terms of application to mods, homebrew and so on. In a case brought by Sony in Australia, a higher court decided that mod chips were alright.

In Japan and China Nintendo's anti-R4 etc. campaign is based on civil law, mainly threatening to sue companies running shops and factories. They did have some wins on the old Gameboy cards (causing Bung as the most famous to shut down or more likely rename itself), but new and better ones are available now (and just as with the DS, you can have a lot of fun and even do a bit of development without using any pirated programs).

Spacefractal, I thought you were going for the pod Touch. One iPhone dead already since then, I would have thought twice before buying a second (they are rather pricey):o!  If your experience is typical, won't be long until it's an on-the-nose product. :)

Won't start a 'Trouble with Apple' thread, but I still maintain that many (perhaps most) have the things (i- products) just to be seen to have them, starting with the idea that the ads with dancing silhouettes looked cool (and very heavy propaganda in and from the US press). Won't last forever. Not that I don't wish the team the best with the i- project.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Courts in the colonies give Sony a time limit to show why the earlier decision
(allowing mod chips) should be overturned for a dongle (which seems more piracy-
prone than the earlier device, but could still be considered a back-up maker).

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/08/27/sony_oz_mod_chip_ban/

... time limit runs out tomorrow.