I've caught the retro collectors bug!

headkaze · 33009

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
on: December 07, 2008, 01:40:37 pm
I don't know why but Flash and this new website has just motivated me to start collecting old consoles. What I have currently bid on ebay

- Atari Lynx old and new versions
- C64 (white version still in box mint condition!)
- C64 Assembly Language Programming Book (something I always regret not learning and never too late to start hehe)

I still want to focus my collecting around handhelds but I think I have to get a C64 for my collection. I'm also considering a N64 and PS2 but maybe later down the line.

So.. what do you have in your collection? I've seen some pretty impressive photos of what you have Flash, when did you start collecting and how much do your reakon your collection is worth?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:22:59 pm
Glad to here that the bug has bitten!!
Handhelds is a great way to start, and the Lynx is perhaps the most powerful retro handheld (v1 being my fave). The TG Express is also well worthy of looking out for. I have a couple and STILL play them - Fantastic battery-hungry handheld.
The C64 is my favourite computer for obvious reasons, and I would love to see what you can come up with using the fantastically versatile 6510 asm. Perhaps I can send you the source for "Tidemarsh '92" when I can get it uploaded to the Pc?

My collection has been built up from the early days. I have always been a bit of a hoarder and never willing to sell any of my old computers. The collection keeps growing and there is a HELL of a lot to add to the gallery as yet.
I am still looking for quite a few things though. Commodore Pets, Video Genies, Pippin, X68000, SG-1000, still a big list!
Putting a price on retro stuff is near impossible. An items worth can only be judged by another persons desire for it. Take the Pippin, on e-bay (boxed) they can go from £150-£500 for the SAME condition item depending on how much some one wants it! So, with that in mind, I would put my collection from £2500-£15,000. Meaningless really.

Just found my original IBM PC with the monitor... :)

I wish you luck with your bids!!! Fingers crossed for you!

It would be nice to hear what other people have in their collections and what they prize?

Coding for the love of it!

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:07:41 pm
Yes I'd like to hear about other peoples collections too!

I just lost my bid on an N64 I think I'll leave for now although I'm also bidding on a bunch of N64 games. I think I went a bit bid crazy last night but I'm trying to get some bargains so I probably wont win them all. Fingers crossed on the C64 and Lynx. I also put a bid on a Dreamcast ;)

I used to own the v1 Lynx so it has some sentimental value too. I also used to own a C64 and N64. You really kick yourself when you sell those things. I wish I had of hoarded them all!

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:21:59 pm
That is why I have never really sold any of them :)

There was something special about the original Lynx. Something about that great lump of grey plastic that made it so so sweet. That and Gates Of Zendecon.

It is hard to know when to stop bidding on something. You can sometimes pay ove the odds for something that perhaps is not worth that kind of money. In a way, I did that with the boxed Amiga 1000 (£370), but honestly - How many A1000's do you see and how many boxed?

When you start bidding on an item, try to set a max price in your head and stick to it. Wait till the last moment if you are still in the running, and when you have 5 secs left - shove it in! (the bid that is).

Just took a load of photos tonight, but I have got a little dust on the sensor - bugger, photoshop here I come!!!

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:44 pm
Just won a 1978 TRS-80 Model 1 for £26... :)

Offline Grapple

• Dragon 32
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:39:58 pm
Well HeadKaze... dont get in to the c64 shit... it sticks... been a heavy fan of everything c64ish sin the middle of the 80´s tried to get out in 1992 or so... but my mind still goes back to those days... it will consume every bit of sparetime ya have once you get started....

Once you cut people open you realise we are pretty much the same.....

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:18:15 am
Damn it I lost the C64 Assemly book :( And been outbid on the C64. Not sure if I'll make another bid on the C64 but that could go for alot considering it's boxed.

I used to own Gates of Zendacon too :) But my favourite was surfing on Califorina Games. I also mapped out several levels of ElectroCop which was another favourite.

I guess I'm just a n00b on eBay but I'll take your advice and bid higher on the items last minute.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:33:22 am
The book you want is the Commodore Programmers Reference book. That is what i used to learn 6510 assembly.
It did not so much teach you as to present all the info and let you work it out!! Excellent!

EDIT: Sorry - Programmers Reference Guide!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:03:31 am by Flash »

Offline Grapple

• Dragon 32
Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:42:12 am
Yep that book is excellent... didnt get a hold of that one until late in my programming days unfortunately...

Once you cut people open you realise we are pretty much the same.....

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 08:02:49 am
It was one of the best reference guites ever written.

It really told you EVERYTHING.

Offline Tempest

• Jupiter Ace
Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:15:27 am
Damn it I lost the C64 Assemly book :( And been outbid on the C64. Not sure if I'll make another bid on the C64 but that could go for alot considering it's boxed.

I used to own Gates of Zendacon too :) But my favourite was surfing on Califorina Games. I also mapped out several levels of ElectroCop which was another favourite.

I guess I'm just a n00b on eBay but I'll take your advice and bid higher on the items last minute.

I don't ebay, but if your serious about trying to get something there, check out E-snipe. for 1% of the bid, it will put in your maximum bid in the last few seconds. Also I see alot of stuff on Craigslist, Don't they have it in Australia?

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 02:37:19 pm
I didn't win anything I bid on :(

Lesson 1: Retro stuff is not cheap and there are obviously other collectors out there (bargains are probably rare)
Lesson 2: You should really be around for when the auction ends

I'm going to try some other methods like the classifieds in my local rag. I think there are too many collectors and I probably have more chance of getting bargains buying locally. I live in Western Australia which is quite a remote place so I think I could use that to my advantage if I exclude the competition from over east. Plus being able to pick stuff up locally is a bonus. I'll let you know if I make any nice scores ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 02:39:13 pm by headkaze »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 02:44:18 pm
I didn't win anything I bid on :(

Lesson 1: Retro stuff is not cheap and there are obviously other collectors out there (bargains are probably rare)
Lesson 2: You should really be around for when the auction ends

I'm going to try some other methods like the classifieds in my local rag. I think there are too many collectors and I probably have more chance of getting bargains buying locally. I live in Western Australia which is quite a remote place so I think I could use that to my advantage if I exclude the competition from over east. Plus being able to pick stuff up locally is a bonus. I'll let you know if I make any nice scores ;)
Personally, I think you are just tight!

:D

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 03:04:12 pm
The C64 went for $242 AUD which was just too much for me. Probably worth it though. What really annoyed me though is I put a bid on an Atari Lynx for $50 and it went for $50.50. That's what you get for not being there for the end of the auction :(

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:26:36 pm
A really hate it when that happens... That is one of the most irritating things about ebay. Mind you it is nice when you manage to win an item yourself for an extra 50p.

Offline Tempest

• Jupiter Ace
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 10:28:25 am
The C64 went for $242 AUD which was just too much for me. Probably worth it though. What really annoyed me though is I put a bid on an Atari Lynx for $50 and it went for $50.50. That's what you get for not being there for the end of the auction :(

Did you see my post above about using E-Snipe?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 10:31:33 am
Did you see my post above about using E-Snipe?
Im sure he did, but 1% - you know how tight he is :)

Retrokid_XL

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 07:02:26 pm
Oh yes, there is nothing quite like the thrill of the chase.

But be warned, it can be an expensive 'hobby' and hard to let your prize.... get away!!

Mr Flash has the biggest (oh-er) and it's good to see it in the flesh at last (the collection, of course).

It's reassuring that we are helping to preserve our little part of history!!

XL

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 11:07:34 pm
Okay I've been a bit more agressive in my bidding (and not because Flash called me tight) but it's worked and so far I have won a Nintendo 64 and the Atari Lynx game California Games.

I'm also bidding on an Atari Lynx which ends today so wish me luck on that one as that is the one I really want to win ;)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 12:17:38 am
is it the original lynx? That was my fave!

I hope you find yourself a c64 at a good price... Ya need one!

PS. I take back that I called you "Tight", money conscious is perhaps better ;)

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 01:16:55 am
I think it will be difficult to find a v1 lynx in good condition although I am keeping an eye out. The auction I'm in now is the v2 model but I'm happy to have one of those as I've never owned one but do remember thinking it looked better than the "phat" model. Also the one I'm bidding on includes two games but I have no idea what they are. I'm excited about this one as it ends in 3 hours!

Offline techno_wiz_oz

• ZX80
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 03:41:50 am
Yeah from a C64 tape to a 1999 car I always always stay up for the last few seconds of an auction and bid right then...it's the only way to be sure ;)

Retro collecting is a cruel mistress, there is always something else you have to have, it is never ending. My house is absolutely stuffed with some really obscure things from the Videopac to the PS3 from a Vista laptop all the way back to the ZX81 computer. It just never ends and is quite a dangerous addiction be warned.

Just last night I got my spare Intellivision console from the loft just to test it out, and amazingly after a bit of persuasion it fired up like a trooper. Will the xbox360 work 25 years after it was made....I don't think so!  :P

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 02:03:08 pm
I'm really trying to limit my collection to my favourites, but your right I've already gone a bit crazy on eBay.

Some of my stuff arrived this week.

- N64 (although is pretty shit condition)
- Atari Lynx (he said he played it once - yeah right so where did all those scratches on the screen come from)
- 7 boxed Lynx games and 5 unboxed

Still on the way..

- C64C (still on it's way and it said no light damage on plastic - I really hope it's in good nick)
- Atari 2600 (brand spanking new never came out the box!)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 02:15:48 pm
Nice one on the 2600 ;)

I just bought a :-

Boxed c16 of some strange person called techno_wiz_oz :)
An Osborne-1
A Mattel Aquarius

Spent too much again (and the c16 was the dearest? Just)

Offline techno_wiz_oz

• ZX80
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 05:47:41 pm
hint hint eh Flash ;)

I've not bought anything for ages off ebay...it's like quitting smoking...once you venture in the vintage section you are in big trouble and 30 mins later I have added loads of stuff to My ebay haha not good for the bank balance.

The thing with yellowing on C64S machines is it's really hard to tell sometimes. I have four in total and 3 of them all look pretty original with no yellowing in isolation, but if you put all 3 together on their side you can tell there is a difference in colour there.

Same thing with my C64 breadbox models, some are obviously yellow but I have two clean machines and I'm not sure which is the original brownish sort of colour!

Today I found a pretty much brand new boxed Gamekiller cart by Robtek....Commando is going to get it for sure later!! haha

Offline Assefireontot

• Altair 8800
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 10:34:12 am
Old bikes for the sake of old bikes doesnt do much for me.  I ride some steel, some aluminum, and Ive tried plastic.  Its never mattered much as far as Im concerned.  I havent seen a bike that looked attractive in its own right for quite some time.  That being said, that is one gorgeous frame  I love it  I cant wait to see build pictures.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:55 pm
Old bikes for the sake of old bikes doesnt do much for me.  I ride some steel, some aluminum, and Ive tried plastic.  Its never mattered much as far as Im concerned.  I havent seen a bike that looked attractive in its own right for quite some time.  That being said, that is one gorgeous frame  I love it  I cant wait to see build pictures.

WTF! (When spam goes wrong? LOL)

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19:50 pm
WTF! (When spam goes wrong? LOL)

The best 'modern spam communicator' explanation as of date. When spam goes wrong, sounds like a great title for another blockbuster movie.

Btw, I saw that weirdo spampron post from another night, brrr...that was quite horrifying.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 08:09:04 pm
Spampron? LOL!

I have not done anything to this post as yet because I want to see what comes next? Perhaps a post on the love of motor oil, or how pom-poms made from cotton take a lot of time and effort.. Who knows?

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:55 pm
Haha, more I read that post funnier it gets, especially the end -
"I love it  I cant wait to see build pictures."

FUk the surrealist movement, spammers have officially declared them sane in comparison.