Original Warhawk Review

flash · 14329

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
on: December 02, 2009, 09:16:30 am
Thought this would be nice to post here?

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:42 am
80% back in 1986, not bad at all. I still have a chuckle every time I see hairdos though.  :)

Offline Gaz

• Altair 8800
    • DS Homebrew
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:08:01 am
I must say it was a great job on converting Warhawk to the DS :)

I used to own this game on an Atari 800XL which I bought with my Easter Money when I was 10yrs old along with the Last V8 (which was also very hard!).  I remember going into a trance whilst looking at the title screen of Warhawk, along with the soundtrack by Rob Hubbard (which is one of my favourite Rob Hubbard soundtracks).  Oh the glorious days of the 8bit gamming world!

Looking forward to future productions!

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:16:38 am
glad you liked it. We have also created two other remakes to DS (Manic Miner DS - The Lost Levels and The Detective Game).

We are currently going to create a commercial game to iPhone/Ipod Touch, which is still unannounced, but is heavy development on that game.

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline Gaz

• Altair 8800
    • DS Homebrew
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:22 pm
I've have just loaded Manic Miner on to my DS.  Another great conversion; very difficult though which I was kindof expecting.  Fantastic job on the music.  Did you use a tracker for this?

Have you had a play with the PSG on the DS? and I wonder how this compares to the SID chip..  I loved the Yamaha YM2612 as used in the Mega Drive; hope this will gets emulated as a library to program on the DS one day :)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:26 pm
MMLL, HARD? Are you mad? Have you lost them skills of youth?

Well, the first level can be a little tricky, but the video shows you how to do it.

MMLL is perhaps one of my fave games as it was always something I wanted to code, even way back! So, thrilled you like it.

Coding for the love of it!

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:12:47 pm
FirSt level is not raally easy, but after you completecit; it would been really easy.

Thanks for music comment. Its was created by me and used xm format (which is included in the soundtrack).

The game do use 8bit samples, but most in soundtack is in 16bit.

Was lots of fun creating that music.

Offline Gaz

• Altair 8800
    • DS Homebrew
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:09 pm
The ability to continue on the level you left off is a god-send; glad you developed that for us mere-mortals! I gave up to easy at youth, them Atari joysticks where not very forgiving; many a blister.  I did own a Quickshot but I was forever having to fix the buttons!

I was reading the article in Retrogamer (Congratulations on that!) Any news on the original title you’re all working on?

Just had a look at the xm files, see you using Skale Tracker, never come across that one before.  The ability to use Virtual Instruments sounds interesting.  I should be able to put Vanguard VSTi to the test.

How’s the midi support? I tried OpenMTP, but had problems with midi note-off messages.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:36:43 pm
Yes correct, but finalized by milky tracker. This is due a save bug in skaletracker.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:30:40 pm
Also all instruments is from Fl-Studio and few sample Cd's, I use as the sequence application and then later recreated as modules. Its was something that I way created loops and instruments used. Some songs did finished in studio versions, while most did never got finished, before I started on the XM version. I did also not use very much any of the fancy features, but was more plain simple.

Its was all fun for all us behind the game.

The only problem I have with original warhawk is the lead instruments is often taken out due SFX)..... Bugger, but its was still a excellent game and my brother brought it as original game to C64 I remember. I liked the game too.

And yes I love SID chip too.