PICO-8

headkaze · 7163

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
on: April 26, 2018, 12:49:03 am
Mike mentioned PICO-8 way back in July 2017 but I recently stumbled on it again and ended up purchasing it. It's pretty amazing and even runs on a Raspberry Pi!

It has tools for editing code, music, sound, sprites, maps built right into the console. Check out some of the Cartridges for it. Just click on a screenshot to run them in its HTML 5 engine.

They include a release for Raspberry Pi which would be perfect to run PICO-8 on the Picade.

It's fun to see what people are doing to push this machine from graphic artists to musicians and coders.

Offline PypeBros

• Jupiter Ace
    • My Homebrew blog
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:03:45 am
Yep, I find it very refreshing. It exactly brings the sort of game-maker-on-portable-device that I have been trying to do with the NintendoDS, but with additional benefit that games can be played online with a simple PC as well. My personal favourite would be to run it on a PocketCHIP.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:45:59 am
The PocketCHIP doesn't appear to be for sale anymore.

How about playing it on a giant 128x128 pixel RGB LED matrix screen?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:52:01 am by headkaze »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:22 am
love it :)

Coding for the love of it!

Offline PypeBros

• Jupiter Ace
    • My Homebrew blog
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 06:46:34 pm
The PocketCHIP doesn't appear to be for sale anymore.

How about playing it on a giant 128x128 pixel RGB LED matrix screen?

Lol. I love the crazyness of it. But given my experience of nitrome's games on phone vs. pad screens, I noted that some games need to be on small screen so that you can have an idea of the whole room very quickly (just in a glance, ideally). Dunno whether Celeste falls into that category.