Extravagant spending.

Sokurah · 9171

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
on: July 12, 2014, 02:40:59 pm
A thing has rattled around in my head for a couple of years now.
...and I've just done something about it.  ;D

Say hello to the new owner of one of these...
...this exact one to be precise. :)

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:20:03 pm
Well done, I have always loved Vespa's...

;)

Coding for the love of it!

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
  • "Ow!!! What's that ?!?!"
    • My NDS folder
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:28 am
Great!
Right yesterday I was reading about midlife crisis on Wikipedia
[...] The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day-to-day life or situation, such as in [...] large expenditures [...]
:D :D ;) :P :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:51:02 am by sverx »

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:56:35 pm
Hrmf, I've heard that theory a bit too many times by now...and as I don't agree with it it honestly won't win you any favors.  :(

Yes, I am the right age for a midlife crisis alright :) :) ...but that's not what this was about*.

I've had a motorcycle before and it's a fantastic feeling riding on one. You can only really know if you've tried it. Unfortunately the last one I had was a piece of shit and it really tainted my desire to own one again - which is why it's been 12 years since I sold it and I've only gotten one now.

I've been meaning to get one for 3-4 years, but as I don't really need one (I can get to work on my normal bike in less than 15 minutes), and because I like saving up for bigger things (like a new apartment) I've held back. It was really my recent trip to Cuba that made me consider doing something about it. There was a lot of them there (and they looked impossibly more expensive than I thought they could afford) so when I got back I decided that now was the time. I have the money...so why not. And really - all things told it's not that extravagant a buy. It's used but in really good condition and I "only" paid £2700 for it. It was a really good buy.

I didn't buy it to be cool, or to be seen - I don't care about things like that. I've bought it to make it easier to get from A to B without relying to friends or public transport - and of course just to experience the feeling of riding again. Did you know that when motorcycle riders pass each other they always (or most often anyway) greet each other; either with a nod or a wave? ...you don't get that when you drive a car, and it makes you feel part of something bigger than yourself. It's a great feeling.

* A psychologist may have something else to say about it, but general assumptions don't apply to every one, and in this case - because I'm pretty sure I know how I feel - I'm confident that this is not a midlife crisis thing. I don't have a wife, don't have kids, I live alone. I can basically do what I want. I have nothing to escape from.

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
  • "Ow!!! What's that ?!?!"
    • My NDS folder
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:51 am
I was kidding, of course.
Though you can't exclude midlife crisis because you don't have wife/kids and you live by yourself. ;)

[...]

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:26:11 am
Just read your PM too.

Yeah, don't worry - I know you only meant it as fun. ;D

It's just that I've heard it so many times now and I don't really feel it qualifies as a midlife crisis.
...but what do I know. :) :)

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:47:43 pm
Get out, it's a midlife crisis alright!  :D
Me myself am thinking of Hummer in scarlet with E.A. Poe quotes on the grill and giant stuffed raven attached to the roof, if that's not MC than I don't know what is.
Nice bike tho, if you wear yer tight pants you probably look like that superhero, 'purple arrow' something, forgot the name (purple avenger/super indigo/pink arrow, what was it?).

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:20 pm
LOL, what an entrance. :) :)

...if you stay around you may get to see me in those tight pants. Or not. Whatever works best to make you stay. :) ;)

I've done my bit with the MC - the bike...not the midlife crisis. Now get that Hummer and post pics too. :D

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:20 pm
OK :)
If I ever get that Hummer...shit, you on the bike as 'Purplepants Avenger' and meself, the 'Scarlet Hümmerbird', unbeatable!

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:08 pm
We will be...UNBEATABLE (and very very ...maroon...ish). :)

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:28:38 pm
You mean...moronish, but unbeatable anyway.  ;)