3DS

Zzaped! · 6039

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:32 am
Bought one early this year, so far only have two games (Street Fighter IV 3D and Dead or Alive Chronicles, because I didn't have any fighting games on a hand-held later than the Neo-Geo Pocket or Wonder Swan). Enhanced chest projection for some characters in DoA Chronicles is nice (although they really should have played that up even more, at least as far as I've got in the game).

Haven't tried all of the built-in stuff yet, but the camera is pretty sweet, reminiscent of the old Viewmaster.

Not as revolutionary feeling as the DS when it first came out, but seems a pretty good product.

Who has a 3DS and what do you think?

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:50 am
I bought a couple and on the whole am both disillusioned and mildly impressed.

I have the 3d off. So, that leaves me to judge on performance and playability alone. Mario is wonderful and a joy to play (though far to easy) and mario kart is wonderful and slick. Perhaps the best version since the original snes release.

So, for the power of the handheld - 4 stars. For the murky headache inducing 3d - 2.5 stars. 

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:08 pm
Haven't got a headache from it yet (after many hours playing with the 3D effect on the full setting), perhaps if you hold it at book distance it doesn't have that effect. Anyway, will give my own impression after playing the built-in games for a bit.

The 'Chronicles' part of Dead or Alive Chronicles is also far too easy, a bad thing because once you go into the hard levels of the other modes, you won't have learnt enough of the special moves to get through. The Dreamcast version was much better paced that way (but then, the 3DS one has even more, just lacks the anatomically accurate Kasumi in the bath in the opening scene of the Dreamcast version).  For that matter, the XBox versions were generally too easy, guess it is a general trend (get people who don't really care about games into playing them as a very light distraction, epitomised by the stuff that does well on the iP*s). :)