Warhawk DS (HK & Flash's DS Diary)

flash · 259204

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #450 on: October 05, 2009, 09:31:49 pm
The rights to Warhawk belong jointly to Myself, Ian (Badtoad) and andrew betts (Carter).. so that is ok..

Horace in the Mystic Woods returned to me several years ago (as did Stigma).. So, I do not own the rights to Horace, but.. I own the rights to the game HTM.

It is all a bit confusing to be honest?

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #451 on: October 05, 2009, 10:46:00 pm
The iPhones resolution would be perfect for Horace (or any Psion 3 game for that matter) but I think Horace would be too hard to control. Not all games are equally well suited to the hardware but perhaps it's possible with the right approach. I haven't tried that many games yet so I haven't seen so many ways of doing things.

Anyway, congrats on a 3rd place, although beaten by a music game and a painting game?...that sucks. :-/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:47:20 pm by Sokurah »

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #452 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:57 pm
The rights to Warhawk belong jointly to Myself, Ian (Badtoad) and andrew betts (Carter).. so that is ok..

Horace in the Mystic Woods returned to me several years ago (as did Stigma).. So, I do not own the rights to Horace, but.. I own the rights to the game HTM.

Actually, that sounds quite good, meaning that you guys basically have the rights to push the title on different platform. As for Horace, I don't understand, the rights for the  Mystic Wood returned to you or what?

And yes, Iphone would be perfect for Horace, I took quite a liking for the weird fluffy monster lately for no obvious reason, hmm. As for controls, trust me-speed run with Horace on Iphone would be far more suitable than with arcade controls. Reason for it is that your fingers wouldn't hurt.  :P

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #453 on: October 05, 2009, 11:27:13 pm
Well the HITMW game belongs to me, but.. the Horace character and ip still belongs to Beam software.. so... The Horace game is still possible?

Perhaps!

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #454 on: October 06, 2009, 01:08:25 am
Kay, well..Beam software doesn't exist in that way anymore, they point to Melbourne House and MH is now Krome Studios? Horace copyright will be in W. Tang's hands regardless of whether Beam exists anymore. It could be (or could be not) that they somehow merged with MH and © willingly transferred to them (as possible by law). Then again, that's not important as Horace is not a trademarked character and © can easily be attributed to Mr. Tang. I'm confused as to how and what kind of rights you have for the Mystic Woods? Is it just a title or usage of the character or ONLY and exclusively for the Psion platform? I'm sure that you hold all the credits in regard to making it though but that's different.

Now, in order to make it clear, please answer these questions as clear as possible, failure to do so is punishable by spanking.
So, how did it happen, did you just woke up one day and decided to make it on Psion or was there any conversation between you and Beam/MH to bring it to the Psion? I know you mention somewhere that Psion folks asked for..something, Horace in particular or any title you want? Did you ever had any contact with Beam/MH at all about MysticWoods?
Did you actually designed the whole bloody thing and the idea is yours?

You have until Tuesday to answer all this.  8)

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
  • "Ow!!! What's that ?!?!"
    • My NDS folder
Reply #455 on: October 06, 2009, 06:54:54 am
Anyway, congrats on a 3rd place, although beaten by a music game and a painting game?...that sucks. :-/

Those aren't games, so it means WarhawkDS got the 1st place among GAMES  ;D

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #456 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:13 am
Kay, well..Beam software doesn't exist in that way anymore, they point to Melbourne House and MH is now Krome Studios? Horace copyright will be in W. Tang's hands regardless of whether Beam exists anymore. It could be (or could be not) that they somehow merged with MH and © willingly transferred to them (as possible by law). Then again, that's not important as Horace is not a trademarked character and © can easily be attributed to Mr. Tang. I'm confused as to how and what kind of rights you have for the Mystic Woods? Is it just a title or usage of the character or ONLY and exclusively for the Psion platform? I'm sure that you hold all the credits in regard to making it though but that's different.

Now, in order to make it clear, please answer these questions as clear as possible, failure to do so is punishable by spanking.
So, how did it happen, did you just woke up one day and decided to make it on Psion or was there any conversation between you and Beam/MH to bring it to the Psion? I know you mention somewhere that Psion folks asked for..something, Horace in particular or any title you want? Did you ever had any contact with Beam/MH at all about MysticWoods?
Did you actually designed the whole bloody thing and the idea is yours?

You have until Tuesday to answer all this.  8)

\

Ok,

I was contacted by Psion PLC to do a Horace game for the psion. The actual idea of the game (minus the character) is mine and Psion had no involvement in the design or execution. I then sold the game to Psion and the contract of sale was (i believe) 3 years.
So, where does that leave it now? Mr. Tang (we believe) passed on. Psion is no longer a software publisher, and I have a strange rash on my testicles. Hmmm

So, the gameplay and design is still owned by Proteus Developments? The Horace character belongs to? Who?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #457 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:37 am
Those aren't games, so it means WarhawkDS got the 1st place among GAMES  ;D

That's a bloody good point - We were rated the top game in the compo - WOOP!

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #458 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:27 pm
I just got the Warhawk DS to work on my new green Nintendo DS Lite, so I see the game in first time on the real DS  :). I do need to have the card formatted with SDFormatter before the 8GB Micro-SD card got work.

The speaker do missing some bass, but have not tried to use headphone now as well, but still sound really nice on the real hw.

Thanks to include the SF logo on start-up (only why I re downloaded it again). It was not in because I did not create one when the game first got released :-D. I do still got credited by text on title screen.

Bronze for all homebrew is really really nice, and for games this was the top game in the competition.

EDIT: Spelling on the news: Warhwk?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:55:45 pm by spacefractal »

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #459 on: October 07, 2009, 12:54:21 am
...and I have a strange rash on my testicles. Hmmm

So, the gameplay and design is still owned by Proteus Developments? The Horace character belongs to? Who?

Ok, for the rash, take a saguaro cactus and hold it in your underwear for a week, the indian chief told me that is the only cure for otherwise abnormal condition.

Mystic Woods belongs to you, Horace belongs to me and all your bases are be...wait, let's not.

Offline Hydeux

• ZX81
    • Best shmup related French speaking site ever !!!
Reply #460 on: October 07, 2009, 07:17:50 am
Congrats for your third place !

"Warhawk II DS have been mooted" :

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
    • My NDS folder
Reply #461 on: October 07, 2009, 07:52:05 am
"Warhawk II DS have been mooted [...]"

Oh, wait, I still have to complete this!  ??? (I'm stuck at 14th level since a couple of days...)  >:(

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #462 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:27 am
Oh, wait, I still have to complete this!  ??? (I'm stuck at 14th level since a couple of days...)  >:(

Deary deary me  :D

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
    • My NDS folder
Reply #463 on: October 07, 2009, 03:02:42 pm
Anyway I updated Warhawk the other day to include the new intro graphics made for MMLL. And it also includes the Space Fractal logo now so you might want to download this one for your flash card.

Link? Can't find it on http://headsoft.com.au/ website... or is it 1.02 again?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #464 on: October 07, 2009, 03:08:23 pm
Yes, it is the same version.

Did not really warrant a version change just for a couple of altererd intro graphics really..

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #465 on: October 07, 2009, 03:55:58 pm
no need to do that :-D. Its nothing with the gameplay to due and I was still credited, just without logo.

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline relminator

• Jupiter Ace
    • Genso's Junkyard
Reply #466 on: January 21, 2011, 06:03:28 am
Wow!!! I love reading this thread!

Reminds me of a collaboration between me and my artist friend in which we used a forum to develop a game.

http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php/topic,884.0.html

BTW, we didn't win an the game was very "unbalanced".

http://rel.betterwebber.com/index.php?action=contents&item=marvelous_twilight

I love this board!!

SHMUP is my middlename.
http://Rel.Phatcode.net

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #467 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:24 am
It is quite nice to show the dev via a forum, though we did fall a little foul of it when the sites started posting our very early demos, a bit embarrassing.
Did not really learn by the mistake and the same think happened with the early manic miner builds as well.

Still, it is once to look back on now and again.

Offline sverx

• RBP Member
  • IBM PC
    • My NDS folder
Reply #468 on: January 25, 2011, 02:24:33 pm
Did not really learn by the mistake and the same think happened with the early manic miner builds as well.

LOL! I thought that was your FIRST and ONLY!!! Ouch!! :D :D