New game: The Night Before Christmas

Sokurah · 7401

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
on: December 23, 2010, 03:55:45 pm
Yay, I've finished my latest game - and just in time before Christmas too...which is lucky since it's a Christmas game. :)

It's a 'quickie' and has taken a little under a month to make, so it's not the most complicated game and it only has one screen - that's all there was time for, but it's an original game that is pure retro and takes a bit of inspiration from various places - Mission Elevator being one of them. It's starts off a bit sedate but gameplay will get pretty frantic in no time.

There's no way I could have made it in such a short time, if it hadn't been for Lobo and SF, who are responsible for graphics and music.  :-*
Really great to just have to worry about what I love the most - the coding.  ;D

I hope you'll like it.
...A very merry Christmas to everyone here.

Download directly here or goto the site to read more about it here.

I think this subforum should be renamed "Sokurah's Games"  :)

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:59:57 pm
Looking rather sweet sokky.

Will Check it out as soon as I get a chance (hopefully later tonight)

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:22 am
Looks very nice, downloaded it but installed much too late for the seasonal cheese.
Seems to work well under Win 2000, too, but can't certify that because the one key
that doesn't work on my old machine is control on the left (poured coffee into the keyboard,
as one does, that was the only one that got wrecked, so never bothered getting it fixed).
The read-me says keys can be reassigned, but can't see where it can be done.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:18:21 am by Zzaped! »

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:56:12 pm
As much as I'd like to tell you "But...it's right there" I have to be honest and confess that in my mad rush to have it finished before Christmas I'd forgotten to put it in. :)
The code was there..I just hadn't added the option to the settings menu. D'oh!
Thanks for making me aware of the problem.

Anyway, if you download the game again it's there.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:34 pm
Wouldn't have posted if I hadn't checked (even tried to find an editable config file). :)

Nice concept, nice realisation. Only improvement I could suggest would be Santa being able to drop one floor (and only one) down the elevator shaft, like in Elevator Action, but suppose that would make it too easy.

Works very nicely under Win2000, but will wait for the season to return before trying to play it well.

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:42:02 pm
Nice concept, nice realisation. Only improvement I could suggest would be Santa being able to drop one floor (and only one) down the elevator shaft, like in Elevator Action, but suppose that would make it too easy.

I have given some thought to how it could be improved and many of those things would make it more little Elevator Action - like scrolling floors and more lifts that aren't just centered, but in the end there was no time and I've moved on now. If I decide to do a Christmas game again (which I doubt) I'll make something entirely new.

But thanks for your feedback. ;)

Offline relminator

• Jupiter Ace
    • Genso's Junkyard
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:51 am
Nice game!!!

SHMUP is my middlename.
http://Rel.Phatcode.net