Other remakes for the DS

Zzaped! · 12066

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:38 am
Manic Miner LL, Warhawk, and the Detective Game (still stuck on that) are fantastic, but there are others.

C64
Great Gianna Sisters was the first one I came across (ages ago), notorious C64 game that was unjustly banned by Nintendo but kept circulating, the remake is good fun and very C64. This is an emulation, not a remake, and the same author's GEOS DS doesn't seem to run on anything, but the same author's International Karate 64 is a good reminder of why fighting games didn't really take off right then.

SensitiveDS: inspiration for this thread, remake of a little-known but great puzzle game on the C64, was thinking about it before finding it last week, doesn't have quite the same feel as the original, two sections, one a remake of the original game (with no level saving, only one life), the other a set of new puzzles apparently by the maker (Neil Balmer) of the remake, they go too quickly from pretty easy to too hard (level 17 of the puzzles, a bit like the jump from level 2 to level 3 of NeoWarhawk, only worse), but a pretty classy production--even has a nicely designed level editor.

DeflektorDS: Deflektor was on the C64 but I think the original was the Spectrum version, remake is based on the Amiga version. Another great puzzler, remake author Sigmaris, pen control is not great and no level saving (think editing the data files can have the same effect). Added gremlins that have to be touched are a bug, not a feature.

Lemmings DS: Sprawling remake of the Amiga version, the DS version is probably even better (although it might have some bugs and the music is fixed to a few tunes). Has an off-line (PC) level editor for the DS game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:46:47 pm by Zzaped! »

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:49 am
Giana Sisters was a great rip off..

Begs the question,

"Why was Rainbow Arts always getting into problems with legal issues with there releases?"

Also Katakis (RA) was released, then was withdrawn (legal issues) and then the same team was asked to code the c64 version of r-type. Madness.

Coding for the love of it!

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:15:08 am
There is a another version (called v1) of r-type to c64 and Got scrapped. Sad it seen was much more arcade perfect dipite the  game was slowere. Sad i really would see that finished and Got polished.

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:20 am
Gianna sisters was a great rip-off in what sense?

Showing it to people, they always say 'looks like Mario' but Mario was built on earlier platformers, so if someone wanted to copy some of its features doesn't seem unfair.

For R-type, the arcade-perfect C64 version may have got scrapped, but the arcade-perfect SuperFami version is impossible to find (and extremely expensive), I have a different one but it has really bad slow-down problems (doubtless coded in C or similar when assembler was essential). Was going to find a vid of R-type and put it on classic shooters, but as a new person here, wasn't sure it would be OK.

... but this is all off-topic, topic is remakes for the DS, many of you may not like it (the DS) and Nintendo goes to great lengths to block independent coders, but there is a wealth of great independent software for the machine.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:33:05 am by Zzaped! »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:39:54 pm
You can post what you like here (within reason)

Giana was a total rip off of Mario, even though mario ripped off others, it was one of the first scrolling platform games to reach mainstream and also to introduce powerups and the destruction of platforms. Also, pipes - all copied in Giana - wonderfully.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:46:54 pm
I have to say Giana Sisters works wonderfull for iPhone, even its not perfect. I could not find a version of it for DS, so I brought this to iPhone instead.

Yes Giana Sisters got banned, due Nintendo diddent like the look and fell. Even title was very similar.

Howover its was a great game and now back again.... Still retro style and great game (I talk about the commerciel version for DS as well iPhone).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:03:50 pm by spacefractal »

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:30:37 am
Apology to both of you, I was in a really pissy mood over a death I'd only just found out about. Like this site and the things people here have made a lot.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:07:15 pm
Not sure what you are apologising for? But sorry to hear about the death.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:56:10 pm
Being a bit bossy about 'on-topic' though pretty new to the site. Wasn't someone I knew well, but loved his work, get a bit angry at times on hearing about acts of the grim reaper.

For a bit more off-topic a few of the links on the headsoft site are broken, TR-909 is gone (not that it ever worked for me, on TT or R4-Pro, and other audio software is better), Txtwriter is gone, and DSweb is gone. Meant to mention these earlier, probably should have sent mail. Python is interesting, if only Nintendo had kept the IrDA port from the GBC, we'd have an easy way to connect keyboards. Really enjoyed using Perl on my 5MX.

Gianna doesn't really do the pipes, maybe there is one I forgot about or never found that works in later stages, but the pipes are generally not open.

Interestingly, Nintendo has allowed a licensed version, but in Europe only: http://www.bitfield.de/projectdetails.php?lang=en&project=gianasisters&pic=1.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 01:05:01 pm
... and its a cool game :D, have pirate version on DS (I could not find a copy, elsewise I would have the original), but I do have brought legal on iPhone (released recentely). The gameplay is not 100% of the original, but its a very cool game and still fell very retro and a classic platform game (which is most important). The music is very great and directly inspirated from the original game. There is a retro option on iPhone version, but have still not unlocked it yet, so I cant say a word on that now.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:19 pm
Hmm,
Should write to them. You being in a near-adjacent country not having it available for sale shocks me!
Will check the import shops here soon, but they usually only have overpriced US games, mainly not too promising (never bought one). Does it take any advantage of the stylus?