on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:49 pm
27" iMac i7 ;)

Well, how could I not?

Coding for the love of it!

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:36:49 pm
Naughty boy! Well Mac's are bloody great machines.. I'd buy one too if I could afford it ;)

Well now you have an awesome dev machine at home! Woot!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:38:05 pm by headkaze »

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 03:52:15 pm
I throught you did allready have one? You have more money than I have ;-D.

I took one of the small one to my self (iMac Mini).

Any plans to do dual OS on that one (even MacOS is a really a great OS)?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:53:07 pm by spacefractal »

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:01 pm
It will dual boot with OSX and Win7, also I will buy another copy of parallels Desktop 5 and install that so I can have both os's running at once.

I had a macbook pro that I had been using quite heavily, but really wanted a nice system at home to (ahem) play with. I still have the PC that I will have to network to the iMac (it contains 6tb of data). Don't quite know how I will find desk space at the moment though? Hmmm... Need an extension.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:10:53 pm
Demote your PC to make room for the iMac.. you can also Remote Desktop from Mac to control the PC so no reason to have it on the desk taking up space when you can run it through that lovely 27" monitor ;)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:12:52 pm
True.. But I like having the 2t of emulators/roms on it ;)

I think there may be a way to connect it to the imac display though and then put it out of the way?

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:00 pm
Yes definately can do that, simple input switch.. used them all the time at work.. you have two cables running out (probably either VGA to digital or direct digital to digital) then you simply switch between the two computers (something like this). Still Remote Desktop works fine, and you should be able to network the two. Just have the PC box on the floor..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:37:39 pm by headkaze »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:15:25 pm
I believe there is a single input on there somewhere, not VGA though. I am sure there is a nice way to use it. I may have a move around and keep both screens though? not sure yet - it is still in the box at work.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 05:18:09 pm

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:20 pm
Looks like you need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA/Digital Adapter. Most video cards for PC's these days have digital out or VGA with digital adapter. Anyway shouldn't be too hard to get a converter.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 05:36:58 pm
I have Dvi, so er.

Yeah, I will get it sussed one day!

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:02 pm
Woah! I just found one and it's $150! Wow!

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8913

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:10 pm
That is not too bad a price if it does th trick.

Still not sure if I should try and find space for both screens? I will see what I can do Sunday. The PC on is on a wall mount that allows it do be pulled around, so I may be able to move it? Hmmm..

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:46:03 pm
27" iMac i7 ;)

Well, how could I not?

Thanks. You have my address. Just put a big-ass stamp on it and send it on its way. :)

Envious.  :'(

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:08:27 am
Yep,

Slight problem with space!! LOL

(ps, never use an iPhone to take pictures - a silly idea!)

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:21:16 am
Love that iMac computer. Gimme. :)

Did you buy the 'regular' one or the quad-core one?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:40 am
I got the Quad core i7 version. I was going to buy the quad i5 but knew this one was coming out, so I waited for that.

The core2duo ones are pretty nippy though, but I think when it is something you cannot upgrade, it is best to get the highest spec you can afford.

I love it and the kids were on it this morning, so they have no problem using it.

Now, I have to get all the dev stuff sorted (yawn) and installed and on Sunday, I will have to move stuff around somehow. The pc is turned off now and the imac is in front of the pc screen. God it is so much quieter!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:29:30 am by Flash »

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:27:14 pm
Wandering about today, came across a clinic that had an E-Mac on the reception desk, still looked very cool, they had a home-made app running on it which probably wouldn't run on the new ones without a lot of work.

Much more impressed by that than anything I see in the press about new products, also watched a bloke playing a shmup on the iPhone for a few minutes a couple of days ago and now am convinced that it is a poor platform (asked others, they agreed, fingers get in the way of the view, how to avoid that?).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:29:28 pm by Zzaped! »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 03:53:52 pm
The iPhone is a system with a great potential marred slightly by the absence of conventional controls. Some games account for this better than others though.
But I do miss a simple d-pad and button, and would not bother with a shmup really. Tilt & Tap does not suit the format well.

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 09:50:00 pm
Naughty boy, are you planning on gettin' some of that ipad too?

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 09:57:27 pm
There would allways been some limits on all devices, regardsless which one you have. iPhone is a none button device.

On Iphone you need to design the controls, so it dont block too much of the screen and hence not all game genres might work great for iPhone, if not carefull. games like Soosiz, Giana Giana Sisters, Alien taxi, Edge, GW Series, Labyrint 2 and of course other show how its can been done with great controls... and on iPad its should been none issue, due bigger screen.

Tilt also have its own good use for some games, but of course not all. Labyrint 2 shown a excellent use of it... and iPhone have many car game, which I guess Tilt is very suited and best suited for that game genre (Alien Taxi use that too and works well).

rail shooters should work awesome, but have not checked Doom 3 which is a rail shooter for the iPhone.

Its no secret as we are working on a..... iPhone game and the game is still secret.

I also tried N.O.V.A demo, but the game miss Y-Invert.... Damn, I allways play this type of 3d games with Y-Invert enabled.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:23 pm
Naughty boy, are you planning on gettin' some of that ipad too?
iPad, what's that?

I will get one as soon as it is out - I love gadgets! Everyone should get one! ! ! ! ;)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 10:05:17 pm
I also tried N.O.V.A demo, but the game miss Y-Invert.... Damn, I allways play this type of 3d games with Y-Invert enabled.
Y-invert is a fucking stupid ommision. All games like that should give the option. one cocking line of code is all it needs.. is that so hard for coders to add?

Behind you on that on SF!

Offline Lobo

• RBP Team Member
    • Spitoufs
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 10:12:36 pm
iPatch I mean, the thing people put on their back for hernia.

You should be a PR for companies, ''Everyone, buy one!!". :)
There is your chance to quickly port Tidemarsh, Bazair, Horace, Fallout3 and Warhawk to it.
 ;D
Now that I think of it, any touch screen device to me is the best suitable for bloody adventures. First, you can write if parser is there, flip pages/inv and such plus point+click to anywhere by tapping. So, yes, I would like to see a decent adventure, either point/clicky or text adventure on iPad (plus the screen size would make it easier for touch input).

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 10:26:59 pm
I have wrote to them, so I hope they give that in a update. Some DS games also missing that Y-Invert... I think I should "never" played Starwars Rebel Assuelt II which started that all for me and since played 3d games with Y-invert enabled. Its was a awesome SW game.

of course some genre is better suited for iPhone than others and dont work for some genres. That would been that on all devices, as there would allways been some limits. Example RTS games is still not working 100% on a conosle yet due slow gamepad control contra mouse, but do have seen some very good try (personoly I dont play RTS such). RTS should work decent on iPhone with right controls.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:26 pm
Oh, well, like I said I was struck by just how beautiful (not even futuristic retro, just stylish) an old E-Mac still looked, pristinely clean monitor, mouse, and keyboard, on the reception desk just behind the window of some clinic. You can (or could until recently, haven't seen one lately) pick them up for about $80!

Considered a 'pod-Touch', s'pose I should post in 'Who has what' at some stage (combined with Apple's lock-in policies, would explain why I probably won't buy one). Seriously, best of it to you all for iPod development and sales, vague hopes of contributing something later on, but still don't believe it is potentially a really good gaming platform, the hype will stop people noticing that for some time yet (but my informal survey showed people are starting to notice--everyone I asked).

People carry i-phones because they want to be seen carrying i-phones.

Shame the Palm Pre doesn't seem to have much in the way of a plan for sales outside the US.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:28:11 pm by Zzaped! »

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 04:56:04 pm
People carry i-phones because they want to be seen carrying i-phones.

You shouldn't make statements about things you don't really know anything about.

Offline Zzaped!

• Atari 800XL
Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 05:01:29 pm
Ooh, don't know that I don't know anything about it.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 06:18:39 pm
I like to be seen with mine!

I selotape it to my head and have a sign on my back.. So there!

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 06:57:02 pm
Well, got it a bit sorted out today ;)

(See HK, my chair is as bad as yours LOL)