Hackintosh Eeepc

flash · 10609

Offline flash

• Administrator
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
on: June 02, 2009, 07:56:36 am
Got no work done on coding last night,

I had the bright idea to do something to my little eeepc 901,

He he, quite like it (gotta get sound working though)

(Runs much quicker than XP)

Coding for the love of it!

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:46:23 am
Hehe that's sweet! So how much does an EePC cost and will it be any good for dev'ing. My worry is will it be fast enough to run the iPhone emulation software?

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:56 pm
The EeePC is fairly cheap on ebay and runs OSX at a very good speed.. So, emulation may also be good on it.

The only downside for Deving is that the screen Vert res is only 600.. so, that could be a problem..

The main thing is that it is quite easy with the right setup to install OSX on a pc now.. So, there are options there for a Dev unit.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:28:43 am
Got the tiny eeepc 901 running the full osx sdk!

(No iphone emu as i need to update osx online first to 10.5.4)

Wonder why they call it "XCode" and not "iCode" LOL
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:47:43 am by Flash »

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:56:38 am
That is sweet mate. I'm gonna look into selling my old P4 laptop for a Dual Core and get it set up to dual boot into OSX and XP.

I wonder if I can use OSX to Remote Desktop into my other XP machines? It would be really annoying if I couldn't do that. Let me know if you have any success.. I use Remote Desktop *alot*.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:16 pm
I doubt you can use remote desktop sadly (apart from in a dual boot)

This is a handy link:

OSx86 Project

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:24:09 pm
Managed to install OSX on my Sony Z11, after 6 attempts at picking the correct hardware (Had to use the ps/2 patch to get keyboard and trackpad to work)

There are a few problems at the moment... (bugger)
No sound, wifi, and the screen resolution is slightly stretched (though Quartz/3d acceleration is 100%)
These are things i hope to fix (I can live without wifi though)
Strangely, Bluetooth works as does CPU speed stepping, battery meter, DVD Burner, etc.. So, a hopeful start!

Sorry about the *terrible* pictures, had to use my G1 phone camera and it is USELESS!!

The next step is to get Bootcamp working so that I can get Vista up and running.. hmmmm! LOL

So, once you have selected to best kernal, the remaining issue is simply drivers. There are tons of forum posts on workarounds for lots of stuff, though sound tends to cause problems for a lot of people. The screen res can be corrected with software.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:32:01 pm by Flash »

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 06:01:33 am
I have a Satellite A70 and can't find much info apart from reading a post where someone was having trouble with a newer version of the OS, but managed to get an older one working. So it might just go okay on my machine. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a Dual Core instead anyway.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:08:55 pm
OK, Bootcamp will not work.. It asks you to install a new/updated boot.rom... So, no good there..

But... You can dual boot really easy.

1) Install XP/Vista on the first parition

2) resize the boot partition to allocate space for osx

3) reboot with the osx disk in (iPC OS68X is a good choice)

4) when asked for an install location - select the extra partition

5) click "disk manaqger" and format this for osx (clicking options to select MBR as the format)

6) when asked for install location, select this partition and click options

7) this will give a large list of drivers/software to install. select "alternate boot loader"

8 ) select either of the "chamelion" boots. (sorry about the space after 8, but without it we get a emoticon)

9) complete install

10) when restarting, press a key to select the os, it is that simple (well... for me it was)

But there are other options, VMWare is one. setting a virtual machine to run within windows is a possibility, though perhaps more of a powered desktop solution rather than laptop
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:17:13 pm by Flash »

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:30:26 am
I've installed OSX on my HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop and most things work perfectly - USB, Ethernet, battery indicator and sound anyway.
USB is weird - I can't connect or disconnect when OSX is running - I have to do it before the OS loads but that's not a big problem.
I did try another version of OSX where USB worked perfectly, but it didn't have sound and that is more important than a flaky USB.
Wireless doesn't work though, but that's not important to me. As long as I can use BlitzMax and I can, so "whee". :-)

The resolution is not a problem since it runs perfectly in the HP laptops native 1440x900 res.

I also have Acer Aspire One and that's got the same resolution as the Eeepc - 1024x600. It's got WinXP and Ubuntu on it.
Remember, if 1024x600 is too little you can still connect an external monitor and get a higher resolution. ;-)

One on my friends has installed OSX on his Eeepc though and he's got sound working. Should I ask what version he's using?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 01:32:20 am by Sokurah »

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:12:53 am
I did have the sound working initially, but after entering sleep mode, sound never returned... There is a way to fix it using CHUD, so i may look into that.

VMware is also an option, I have had a little play with that (even running the EEEPC 701 linux on it :) ) and it does run fairly well, though I cannot get the network working under Leopard :(

I have a great dualboot running on the Sony Z11, but.. the Chamelion boot loader messes up the Geforce graphics under Windows and also kills Hibernate.

Here are some pic of VMWare running.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:43:02 pm
I think I may prefer going the VMWare method actually.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:09:02 am
One on my friends has installed OSX on his Eeepc though and he's got sound working. Should I ask what version he's using?

I have not tinkered since, but by all means :)