Released: Karma Miwa

spacefractal · 23841

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
  • Blue Gene Super Computer
on: August 20, 2013, 04:14:02 pm
There was no activity in this forum in a month at all and is not more anymore? Howover its dosent prevent me post about this game how its going about.

This game was started programming about over half year ago, or actuelly the idea was before Greedy Mouse even was started (as a cancelled Lazy Jones project).

The game is doing well, even its some late now. Here is the current look on it:

The game is hopefully released in the november, before the registred title at Apple will Expire.

By status there is now:
- 20 Levels in 3 areas.
- 3 game modes (Rookie, Normal and Pro), where the last one will been unlocked after collection 500k points. The pro game mode is being working on.
- There is still no sound and music (but will coming soon that).
- Graphics is still working on (only background is near final here).

The gameplay will fell something like Snokie on C64/Atari 800 with two control methods.

Platforms and goals:
- Planned platforms is iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, WebOS, Android (with game controller support) and Ouya.
- The game runs with 30 or 60 fps, its depend on system.
 + Ouya will uses 30fps with full graphics details using 720p surface (1080p mode was too slow).
 + iPad 2 and iPhone 4 will go after 60fps (on iPad 1 will been around 50-55 fps).
 + Framerate is detected on Android and will various which one its choice, based on system (eventuelt disable some graphics).
- The game is aware of various screen ratio and modes.
- The game will uses dithering RGB565 assests for avoid color banding on Android (not shown on screenshot, which was before that, its does look very close).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:27:26 am by spacefractal »

The Musician for the RetroBytes Portal Projects.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:10:53 pm
This game is not stopped, but now got help from two artists (one for backgrounds, which is live near me, and one for sprites, which came from Brazil).

There is now two birds, not one. That normal bird is the first one, and the second one is playable when playing in "Pro Mode":

All sprites would been 3d models, prerendede to 2d. The birds is using 65 frames, so its run very smooth.

Im did liked both birds very so much as im wanted both and then using them as friends and such, so the mom in the end is not using anymore. Instead you just meet the other bird and they will got dacing instead. Its works quite well and is less noticement of Snokie, but is now just based on that (just like Greedy Mouse was based on XOR).

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:38:05 pm
Really liking the graphic style SF, looks sweet.

Coding for the love of it!

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:07 am
I agree. Those birds are looking really fantastic. And they fit in with the landscape perfectly.  8)

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:47:48 am
Looking really sweet there SF. Makes me think the word 'Toucan' should be in the title somewhere now though ;)

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:06:24 am
And. If the game supports two players, you could say

"Toucan play that game"

;)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:17 pm
Miwa is a bird name, now we have two birds, so Toucan could been using as the second bird name.

Both birds is playable and could do some sort of a race mode if I'm doing mp mode.

Today I'm got a email from skillz which look like a fun service to been implented. They are doing a iOS version soon.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:10:59 pm
"Ollie Onecan"

and

"Terry Toucan"

;)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:52:06 pm
today im have implemted those birds names in the menu using as "credits". Im thinks they are fun names for both birds. Ollie is for the uppers bird and Terry for the second one. Im not sure uses it in the title, but im will do uses them as fun bird names in the game instead.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:28:20 am
Lol.

That is pretty fun.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 05:08:22 pm
something like this  :):

howover the font is to been done soon and the birds here need to been rerendered again, so its just a mock idea. Reusing art from scene 1 works quite nice here.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:26:07 pm
Love it  :)

Offline Sokurah

• RBP Member
  • Cray-1 Super Computer
    • Tardis Remakes
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:55 pm
Yup, that looks great. :)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 03:15:08 pm
menus was recenlt reprogrammed done, due its was very unorginased and was hard to find around. Howover the ball is changed to a animal, here rolling (like a turrican ball):

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:55 pm
Now the game is still titled Karma Miwa..... But Miwa was a bird name referenced to a Kiwi, which will not been used anymore.

Howover the current birds is that one Flash named, Ollie Onecan and Terry Toucan, so where should Miwa go?

Im thinks one of the bird might need a rename, mightbeen this one (and im also might have swapped named in the previous screenshot?):

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:51:39 pm by spacefractal »

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:38 pm
also the game will uses both dithered 16bit attest (scene and main picture will require it, rest does not) and full 24bit attet as well. the 16bit will go for Ouya And Android versions. The reason im not do on that is colorbanding on sprites is limited and predithered graphics uses much more file space.

Today im finished tested all 21 levels with the new birds. In the follow days im see im can implement inapp purchases (to unluck full game) for Android, iOS and Ouya versions (Ouya is most important first, due its easy to test inapps in that one).

Soon im will contact beatscribe for doing sound & music (due im want to have focus on code & design in this game).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:56:14 pm by spacefractal »

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 07:32:16 pm
Here is a another movie from the game how its now play:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3236515/chicken/Karmamiwa%202013-12-13.m4v

Here im played the game at 30fps due its that framerate the movie was recoreded in.

Today also im have signed a contract to let Beatscribe doing music/sound in this game (which im not want doing that my self in this game, but want to code it instead). So sound should been implemted not soo long.

Now im thinks its time for get the describtion of the game done, which im want to help (here Flash is normally good to thing like that, hehe):

Karma Miwa:
Play as fragile bird, Terry, a strange none flying bird, which have been too far away, now want to find its lost friend, Miwa. Howover for some unknown reason, Miwa is gone, far away, and then you need to run and jump over many obstacles to trying to find her again. That is noway a easy task, because you gonna to die as angel at times!

This game is heavy inspirated from the Classic computer game, Snokie, which you could play on your Commodore 64 and Atari 800, back in the 80. The basic gameplay is pretty much its self, but have added own content with other enemies, new sprites, new holes to avoid and annoying other enemies. So can you complete this 21 levels bird?

Also in this game, you can also play with Miwa too in a easier difficulty mode with more checkpoints and a slower pace than with Terry.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 04:58:17 pm
I can re write the description for you SF, no problem. A little busy atm, but I will get it done for you.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:51 pm
I like the video SF nice work :)

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:36:36 am
Recentely im implemented 2 hit system, so you first got killed on second hit. It's regardless it on water or enemy. Only if you fall down offscreen like mario, you got direct killed (only happens in few indoor scene).

Ouya will also run 45fps, 720p, while it's run 60fps on iOS and 30fps on older devices (iPhone 4 and down). On Android it's can been variered of course, but detect framerate trought and disable details if needed.

Also today sound @ music is pretty much complete, only missing enemy sounds. Beatscribe is a nice guy. In didicated not doing that myself this time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:40:30 am by spacefractal »

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 01:27:39 pm
another video:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3236515/chicken/Karmamiwa%202013-12-22%2015-06-50-39-1.m4v

PS. Those WHO have mac and want to tryout  the game, im can pm a link (sokky, headkaze and flash). There is some vsync issues, but works nice.

Offline flash

• Administrator
Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 08:05:20 pm
Looking sweet sf.

If you want me to do some mac testing. I will be happy to.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 08:12:04 pm
mac test versions is sent as pm to Flash. HK and Sokky.

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 08:41:16 pm
Howover Flash, did you looked on the describtion of Karma Miwa (im sending a new video soon)? its some month ago, and nearly forget that.

The status of the game:
- Frog, and Ice and the Saw is only remaining sprites missing.

Else im got a lots of new sprites for the game, my favorit might been the fish one. Also the insect (Previous the ghost, which is now a different new indoor only enemy) is also turned out cool, just like the duck bird and Turtle (boat). More images here:
 (see http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9200.135 ->).

Ist seen also there is a lots of Flappy Birds clones out here (the recently app sensation), one of them im do licked is Maverick Bird, from the VVVVVV author. Property we should do a fun styled Flappy Bird game, without being too much that? Hehe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3236515/chicken/Karmamiwa%202014-02-11%2022-02-47-98-1.m4v

Offline headkaze

• Administrator

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 07:28:20 am
I'm knows, what why im talked about it's many clones. I'm never played the original.

Offline headkaze

• Administrator

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 03:45:41 pm
Karma Miwa is released to OUYA:
https://www.ouya.tv/game/Karma-Miwa/

Now im finish off iOS as well the normal Android version... Hopefully im upload to stores tomorrow or in few days.

So Ouya version get some exclusive time (its a cool console and fun to develop to it).

Offline spacefractal

• RBP Team Member
Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:05 pm
Im raelly such much HATE Itunes Connect and Devepoer Portalt, that can been insane confuction to been uses.

Now im are not sure im can release Karma Miwa to iOS at all, due im have two big issues that is unfixable by my self and now need Apple Support help:

1. Im cannot get "Submit InApp Review " purchase to work, due a warning about the first in app purchase. Also its also not seleable in the details section as well. So its nothing do to get that to work and dosent make any seance.

2. App Prefix seen to been used with the Team ID. Im cannot delete that App Prefex and create a new unique one. Its not possible and cant use the delete button. This can been the main issue, why the above issue dosent work.

Absolutet this is area, Google Play Console is much easier to work well, which im diddent have very many issues like those, other than eventuelly issues all could been fixed easiely (Except ADB drivers can been annoying).

Due the above issues, im tomorrow getting the Android works and release that to Google Play, then iOS eventuelly follow issue, if im can fix the above issues.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:20:15 pm by spacefractal »

Offline headkaze

• Administrator
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:45 pm
1. What warning are you getting?
- Make sure you have at least one language added
- Supply a screenshot of the IAP
2. You don't have to delete the team id (one's with *) just create a unique one (Eg. com.Space-Fractal.KarmaMiwa)

Here are some screenshots that may help. I'm not sure if you need an .entitlements file or not though (I needed to add one for iCloud support I believe). Also when I do a distribution build I have to change the "aps-environment" value from "development" to "distribution". I'm not sure why that's not automated although maybe it is now I'm not sure.

PS Biggest PITA about developing for iOS/OSX is all this certificate crap. I have wasted many hours messing with provisioning profiles and certificates. It's a nightmare although some of the management has been automated into XCode so hopefully they improve things more into the future. It was alot worse several years ago, believe me.

EDIT: Screenshots removed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:59:10 am by headkaze »